ALL NPM Cantor Certificate applicants must begin with the Basic Cantor Certificate (BCC) -Effective February 1, 2017. For ALL Cantor certificate questions – please email email@example.com.
The NPM Steering Committee for Cantors has developed a process for members of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians to guide and recognize the achievement of skills expected of cantors. Each certificate presumes an understanding of a spirituality of ministry and are arranged in a required sequence to ensure a progressive approach to acquiring and integrating the important ministry of Cantors.
Three cantor certificate programs are available, and must be completed in sequential order:
- Basic Cantor Certificate: This first step recognizes the achievement of fundamental skills
- Intermediate Cantor Certificate: Stage two in this certificate program recognizes the achievement of more developed skills of both Psalmists and Cantors
- Cantor Colleague Certificate: Recognizing the achievement of advanced skills expected of psalmists and cantors, this certificate is the third stage in the certificate program
Each of theses certificate levels are described in more detail below, including the requirements, application process, and required fees. Effective February 1, 2017.
For ALL Cantor certificate questions – please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. BASIC CANTOR CERTIFICATE (BCC)
The Basic Cantor Certificate is a means to recognize the achievement of fundamental skills expected of cantors. This certificate marks the first stage in the NPM certificate program for cantors. There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee for this program.
BCC for Applicants
- BCC Adjudication sheet (PDF)
- On Site Adjudication Information
How to hold a BCC On Site Adjudication (PDF)
Note: This information does not apply to all applicants. These links are intended for those holding a certification session with an approved adjudicator present.
2. INTERMEDIATE CANTOR CERTIFICATE (ICC)
The Intermediate Cantor Certificate is a means to recognize the achievement of more developed skills expected of psalmists and cantors. A certificate presumes an understanding of a spirituality of ministry. This certificate marks the second stage in the NPM certificate program for cantors. There is a $50.00 non-refundable fee for this program.
ICC for Applicants
- ICC Requirements/Application (PDF)
- ICC Study Guide (PDF)
- Sample Outline for Teaching New Music (PDF)
- Helpful videos for the ICC (PDF)
- ICC Vocal Adjudication sheet – Psalms, Gloria, Alleluia, Sight Singing and Teaching Music (PDF)
- ICC Psalm Paper Rubric (PDF)
- ICC Psalm Essay Guide (PDF)
- ICC Essay Planning Worksheet (PDF)
3. CANTOR COLLEAGUE CERTIFICATE (CCC)
The Cantor Colleague Certificate is a means to recognize the achievement of advanced skills expected of psalmists and cantors. This certificate marks the third stage in the NPM certificate program for cantors. There is a $75.00 non-refundable fee for this program.
CCC for Applicants
- CCC Adjudication sheet - Psalms and Sight Singing (PDF)
Upcoming CCC Liturgy Examination Dates
January 17, 2020
June 19, 2020
January 15, 2021
June 18, 2021
Candidates will receive the exam questions by e-mail on the day of the exam and will be required to return their responses by email. The exam will be sent at a time coordinated between the Certificate Administrator and the candidate. Once the exam is sent, the candidate has up to 24-hours to compete the test. A mentor from the NPM Liturgy Committee will be assigned to the candidate to help them prepare for the exam.