Designated NPM Cantor Trainers: Requirements and Checklist
- Will pass the NPM Cantor Colleague Certificate (CCC)
Once the applicant passes the CCC, they then continue on with the following:
- Must provide a form from a Supervisor; e.g. Music Director/Office of Worship Director on the Diocesan level or another person whose judgments relates to teaching and a cantor’s role -who has seen the candidate teach. This supervisory person will complete a form.
- Will submit a 20 minute teaching video
- Will either prepare a 5-page paper on the Psalms - or submit a transcript of college credit on the Psalms, Lectionary Cycle or the Psalms in the Church’s Prayer. The paper should include a discussion of the various types of psalms, as well as the role of the psalms in the context of the Mass. In addition, the paper should include a reflective component in which the applicant chooses a Sunday in the liturgical year (A, B, or C) or another specific liturgy, and discusses the personal impact of studying the Responsorial Psalm and preparing to proclaim it. (Recommended resource: Becoming the Psalms, by Sr. Kathleen Harmon)
- Will demonstrate evidence of vocal ability: The vocal ability should come through on the teaching video; however, if the vocal ability is not the focus of the teaching, then the supervisor must attest on the Supervisory form that the candidate does indeed have the appropriate vocal skills.
- Will participate in a Skype/Facetime interview with a member of the Cantor Interest Section Steering Committee, if requested.
- Will document the completion of the above steps and will submit the NPM Designated Cantor Trainer Checklist when all steps have been completed.
**Interested applicants should contact Tammy Schnittgrund (Chair, NPM Cantor Interest Section) at email@example.com.