Resources for Cantors
(en inglés solamente)
Pertinent Church Documents
- Sacrosanctum Concilium (The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy)
- General Instruction of the Roman Missal
- Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship
- Ministry and Spirituality of the Cantor
- Responsorial Psalms
- Understanding the Liturgy
- Vocal Production
Helpful Articles on the Ministry of the Cantor
Ministry of the Cantor/Psalmist
- How Psalmists and Cantors Prepare for Worship by Andrea Goodrich, Vol. 30:4 (April-May 2006), 23-25.
- Psalmists, Cantors, and the Word by Michael Connolly, Vol. 29:3 (Feb-Mar 2005), 35-38.
- Recruiting Young Cantors: Where Do I Start? by Diana Kodner Gökçe, Vol. 29:3 (Feb-Mar 2005), 30-34.
- Cantor: Leader and Sustainer of Community Song by Mary Lynn Pleczkowski, Vol. 29:3 (Feb-Mar 2005), 25-27.
- Fostering Congregational Song as Cantor, Song Leaders, and Choir Members by Daniel Girardot, Vol. 28:3 (Feb-Mar 2004), 30-34.
- The Cantor at Prayer by Kathleen DeJardin, Vol. 26:2 (Dec-Jan 2002), 61.
- Cantor: An Evolving Ministry by Jason McFarland, Vol. 24:2 (Dec-Jan 2000), 34-36, 42-45.
- The Cantor in the Assembly, Part 1 by Mary Ann Mertz, Vol. 19:2 (Dec-Jan 1995), 15-17.
- The Cantor in the Assembly, Part 2 by Mary Ann Mertz, Vol. 19:3 (Feb-Mar 1995), 9-11.
- The Cantor in the Assembly, Part 3 by Mary Ann Mertz, Vol. 19:4 (Apr-May 1995), 12-15.
- Cantors, Claim Your Art by Maryann Corbett, Vol. 14:5 (June-July 1990), 23-25.
- The Cantor, After All, Is a Member of a Team by James Hansen, Vol. 10:6 (Aug-Sept 1986), 23-24.
- The Animator by Joseph Gelineau, Vol. 4:1 (Oct-Nov 1979), 19-22.
- The Animating Cantor by Tom Stratman, Vol. 4:1 (Oct-Nov 1979), 14-15.
- The Cantor: From Soloist to Songleader by Vincent Patterson, Vol. 2:4 (Apr-May 1978), 23-25.
- Praying the Psalms: A Christian Approach by Lucien Deiss, CSSP, Vol. 20:6 (Aug-Sept 1996), 22-28.
- The Psalms Today by Lucien Deiss, CSSP, Vol. 20:1 (Oct-Nov 1995), 28-31.
- Cries of Supplication, Cries of Joy by Joseph Gelineau, Vol. 14:1 (Oct-Nov 1989), 40-43.
- Psalms of Tragedy and Joy by Thomas Boyer, Vol. 11:5 (June-July 1987), 12-13.
- The Psalms: A Closer Look by Thomas Boyer, Vol. 11:4 (Apr-May 1987), 10-11.
- Psalms: Poetry at Its Best by John Kselman, Vol. 8:6 (Aug-Sept 1984), 6-7.
- Starting Point for the Psalms: Understand the Bible by Bernard Batto, Vol. 8:1 (Oct-Nov 1983), 13-16.
- The Ecstasy of Praise, the Depth of Lament by Michael Guinan, Vol. 8:1 (Oct-Nov 1983), 17-19.
Responsorial Psalms: For nearly three years, Patricia Datchuck Sánchez provided a regular column on the texts of the responsorial psalms. Here, arranged by liturgical cycle (Year A, B, C), are the references for her articles.
Years A, B, C:
- Triduum Psalms: Cries of Tragedy and Triumph, Vol. 21:3 (Feb-Mar 1997), 47-49.
- Psalms of Christmas Day: Make It So, Vol. 21:1 (Oct-Nov 1996), 47-49.
- Psalms of Lent: Songs of Penitence and Praise, Vol. 23:2 (Dec-Jan 1999), 47-49.
- Psalms of Ordinary Time: Sing Torah, Sing Praise, Vol. 23:1 (Oct-Nov 1998), 62-64.
- Psalms of Advent: Songs of the Revolutionary Remnant, Vol. 22:6 (Aug-Sept 1998), 55-57.
- Psalms for the Turning Year: Three Footholds for Facing the Millennium, Vol. 22:1 (Oct-Nov 1997), 43-46.
- Psalms in Ordinary Time: New Grace, New Possibilities, Vol. 21:5 (June-July 1997), 35-39.
- Psalms of Easter: Singing the Rest of the Story, Vol. 21:4 (Apr-May 1997), 39-41.
- Psalms of Lent: Celebrating Surrender, Vol. 21:2 (Dec-Jan 1997), 45-47.
- The Psalms: A Three-Thousand-Year-Old Dialogue with God, Vol. 20:6 (Aug-Sept 1996), 35.
- Psalms of Ordinary Time: Millennial Music, Vol. 22:5 (June-July 1998), 45-49.
- Psalms in Summer: Songs for a Spirited Church, Vol. 22:4 (Apr-May 1998), 45-48.
- Psalms of Easter: Songs of Survival and Celebration, Vol. 22:3 (Feb-Mar 1998), 56-58.
- Psalms of Lent: A Little Traveling Music, Vol. 22:2 (Dec-Jan 1998), 41-44.
- Psalms of Advent: Songs and Shouts of Joy...for the Interim, Vol. 21:6 (Aug-Sept 1997), 51-53
- Etiquette for Cantors or Facilitators of Song by Thomas Day, Vol. 31:2 (Dec-Jan 2007), 28-32.
- The Care and Feeding of Singing Voices by Frances N. Brockington, Vol. 22:3 (Feb-Mar 1998), 45-48.
Ministry of the Cantor/Psalmist
- The Spirituality of the Cantor by Michael Hay, Winter 1991, 8-9, 43.
- Cantors...Of the People, for the People by Robert J. Batastini, Summer 1991, 10-11.
- Ministry of Cantor by Beatrice Fleo, Spring 1991, 10-11, 39.
- On the Function and Dysfunction of the Cantor by Diana Kodner Sotak, Spring 1990, 12-13.
- Cantors: Weekend Warriors of Song by Dan Morris, 10-11, 37.
- Cantors: And the Spirit Sings by Christine Jordanoff, 10-11, 48.
- The Singing Voice: A Basic Operating Manual by Michael Connolly, Fall 1991, 10-11, 40.
- But I Can’t Understand the Cantors or “Say What?” by Michael Connolly, Summer 1990, 10-11, 44.
- Eye Has Not Seen, Ear Has Not Heard: New Developments in Our Understanding of the Responsorial Psalm by Kathleen Harmon, SNDdeN, Ph.D.