For over 40 years, the National Association of Pastoral Musicians has served the Catholic Church in the United States, “fostering the art of musical liturgy.”
40 years later.... who is NPM?
- NPM is a community of pastoral musicians, committed to mutual learning and sharing of resources in service to the Church. NPM provides the support, formation, and skill development opportunities that pastoral musicians need.
- NPM membership reflects the growing cultural diversity of the Church across the United States.
- NPM is a community for all those who are passionate about sung worship, those whose heart pounds as a community sings together, and those who miss their choirs over summer break (or during pandemics!)
- NPM is a network of support for colleagues. NPM is for everyone who wants to make Sunday morning better through singing praise to God.
- We promote professionalism and competence in pastoral music leaders. The members of NPM exercise leadership in our field and promote a vision for Church music.
- NPM is able to advocate for the profession and vocation of the pastoral music minister with the leadership of the Church in the United States, as well as representing the field of pastoral music ministry to the wider Church.
- Our association collaborates with other national ministry organizations to strengthen liturgical worship in the Church.
- With over 70 diocesan chapters already established nationwide, new chapters are forming all the time to unite pastoral musicians in a common purpose for a common mission.
Whether you’re a professional organist or choir director, a handbell ringer or cantor, a priest, a guitarist, or just someone who loves to sing in Church, NPM is you.
If you are committed to singing the Gospel of Jesus, NPM is you.
If you serve the Church in sung prayer, NPM is you.
Our future is bright. It’s your future. It’s the future of the Church. NPM is YOU!
September 24, 2020 - NEW BYLAWS
The time has come to begin the implementation of the vision and that starts with creating a system of governance and structure that will best enable us to truly achieve our mission. To this end, the vision for NPM 2.0 includes a new set of bylaws. Article XI of our present constitution (which will be replaced by this new set of bylaws) specifies that all members have a chance to review proposed changes to the constitution for at least one month prior to a joint vote by the NPM Board and NPM Council. Thank you for reviewing this new set of bylaws and offering your feedback via email.
NPM 2.0: A Vision for Our Future
NPM 2.0: La Vision (en Español)
NPM is the membership association for pastoral musicians who serve the Catholic Church in the United States.
A national network of local chapters in each diocese, NPM is for all those involved in music ministry: directors of music ministry, those who lead choirs and ensembles, cantors, instrumentalists, choristers, and clergy.
Learn more about Membership below:
NPM equips pastoral musicians with the musical, liturgical, and pastoral skills and knowledge to serve the Church in musical worship. Through excellent programs and effective communications, NPM provides its members the support they need to excel in music ministry.
Learn more about Programs & Services below:
NPM is led by its members who serve the association and ensure NPM achieves its mission of supporting excellent musical worship in the Church of the United States.
Learn more about NPM's leadership below: