Sing to the Lord Study Guide
NPM Study Guide
- Setting the Context
- An Overview
- People Who Make Music
- Tradition and Culture
- Choosing Music
- Music in the Mass
- Music in Other Sacraments and Rites
Perspectives on Sing to the Lord: Essays in Honor of Robert W. Hovda, Series 5 (2009)
- Sing to the Lord- Gifts and Challenges (Anthony Ruff, OSB)
- Liturgical Music Ministry as Communion for Mission (Kathleen Harmon, SNDdeN)
- Sing to the Lord and the Treasury of Sacred Music (Kevin Vogt)
- Sing to the Lord - Cultural Perspectives (Ricky Manalo, CSP)
- Sing to the Lord - A Theological Perspective (Jan Michael Joncas)
An Examination of Conscience
1. Setting the Context
- Pope Pius X, Instruction on Sacred Music Tra le sollecitudini (November 22, 1903)
- Pope John Paul II, Chirograph for the Centenary of the Motu Proprio “Tra le Sollecitudini” on Sacred Music (December 3, 2003)
- Pope Pius XI, Bull Divini cultus (December 20, 1928)
- Pope Pius XII, Encyclical Mediator Dei on the Sacred Liturgy (November 20, 1947)
- Pope Pius XII, Encyclical Musicae Sacrae on Sacred Music (December 25, 1955)
- Second Vatican Council, Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy Sacrosanctum Concilium (December 4, 1963)
2. An Overview
- Congregation of Rites, Instruction Musicam sacram (March 5, 1967).
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship.
- “Before All Else- Full, Conscious, and Active Participation,” Lovrien, M. Peggy, Pastoral Music 32:2 (December-January 2008).
- “Paying Close Attention,” Colloton, Paul, OP, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
- Spirituality for Pastoral Musicians, Pastoral Music 28:2 (December-January 2004).
- “The Liturgy Is the Action of Christ,” Pecklers, Keith, Pastoral Music 32:2 (December-January 2008).
- “The Mystery of Music- Why and How We Sing,” Turner, Paul, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
- “Three Judgments, One Evaluation,” Mathers, David, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
3. People Who Make Music
- A Pastor’s Guide to Pastoral Music Pastoral Music 31:2 (December-January 2007)
- “Do Priests Need to Sing?” Ruff, Anthony, OSB. Pastoral Music 28:3 (February-March 2004).
- “Leadership, Discipleship, and Formation,” Gokelman, Lena, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
- “Liturgy as God’s Language School,” Witvliet, John D., Pastoral Music 31:4 (April-May 2007).
- Mentoring Youth into Music Ministry Pastoral Music 32:3 (February-March 2008)
- “Ministerial Roles- ‘All but Only,’” Croteau, Bruce, Pastoral Music 32:2 (December-January 2008).
- Organs and Organists Pastoral Music 29:6 (August-September 2005)
- “People, People Who Make Music,” Chepponis, James, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
- The Pastoral Choir Pastoral Music 30:2 (December-January 2006).
- Director of Music Ministries Division
- Choir Directors
- Diocesan Directors
- Pastoral Liturgy
- Religious Communities
4. Tradition and Culture
- Pope John Paul II, Letter to Artists (1999)
- Pope John Paul II, chirograph for the centenary of the motu proprio Tra le Sollecitiduini (On Sacred Music)
- Pope Francis to Participants in the International Conference on Sacred Music (4 March 2017)
- An Introduction to Gregorian Chant.
- “Multiculturalism, Inculturation, and God’s Transforming Grace,” Flaherty, John, Pastoral Music 31:3 (February-March 2007).
- “Should Musicians Say Yes to Multicultural Liturgies?” Zaragoza, Rufino, Pastoral Music 31:3 (February-March 2007)
5. Choosing Music
- “Firestarter: Getting Sung What Ought to Be Sung,” Ford, Paul F., Pastoral Music 31:2 (December-January 2007).
- “Three Judgments, One Evaluation,” Mathers, David,Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
- “What, How, and How Much? Progressive Solemnity,” McMahon, J. Michael, Pastoral Music 32:4 (April-May 2008).
6. Music in the Mass
- NPM Music Planning Calendar (premium content - click to log in)
- NPM Choral Anthem Project (premium content - click to log in)
7. Music in Other Sacraments and Rites
- Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, General Introduction to Christian Initiation.
- Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Directory on Popular Worship and the Liturgy, 2001.
- U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Bendición al cumplir quince años/Order for the Blessing on the Fifteenth Birthday.
- Accessible Worship: Liturgy, Music, and People with Disabilities Pastoral Music 30:5 (June-July 2006)
- Religiosidad Popular and the Liturgy Pastoral Music 28:4 (April-May 2004)
- Sing of Mary Pastoral Music 27:2 (December-January 2003)
- Threshold Rites Pastoral Music 30:3 (February-March 2006)
- Waters of Life, Sing Praise Pastoral Music 26:4 (April-May 2002)