Welcome to the NPM Section for Choir Directors
The NPM Interest Section for Choir Directors represents one of the largest groups of musicians in the NPM family. Whether your choir is five or fifty voices, unison, two part, or four part, traditional or contemporary (or both), children, youth, or adult, or intergenerational, we hope you will find the NPM Section for Choir Directors a valuable resource to assist you and your choir members in your ministry.
The members of the Choir Director Section Committee stand ready to assist you. Some of the programs we help to support and promote are:
- Choral activities at NPM National Conventions, often presented by the Director of Music Ministries Division (DMMD). These may include:
- Singing and learning with a choir of your peers under the baton of a nationally respected master conductor (past conductors include Kent Tritle, Ann Howard Jones, Pearl Shangkuan, et. al.). One of the most intense and effective ways to recharge your passion for choral music!
- Choir Directors’ Institute (CDI); an extensive multi-day opportunity to hone your conducting and teaching skills at any level, from beginner to advanced. Institutes may be for general conducting, or more specifically for children’s choirs.
- Choir Directors’ Clinic; a three-hour mini-course at the start of a convention to focus on one aspect of conducting, musicianship, or ministry.
- Each convention also has numerous breakout sessions to help choir directors hone their craft and build successful ministry.
- Join the NPM Choir Directors’ Section Facebook Group! This fantastic resource allows you to network with hundreds of your colleagues from around the world. Post ideas, ask questions (you’ll get lots of responses), and bounce ideas off the collective wisdom of your NPM counterparts.
- The annual Saint Cecilia Sing that unites NPM members and their choirs across the country in honoring the patron saint of music on or around November 22. YOU are welcome and encouraged to become part of this national celebration of sacred music! There is no set format (be creative!), but the link can give you some ideas.
- The Choral Anthem Lectionary Project is a resource compiled by the Director of Music Ministries Division of NPM. You will find choral anthems based on the scripture readings for each Sunday, as well as the entrance and communion antiphons. Choir directors are encouraged to utilize this valuable tool, and to consider making contributions to the list.
- The Liturgical Singer is an NPM newsletter that features articles specifically for cantors, choirs, ensemble singers, presiders and deacons. It is a rich resource for all worship leaders who lift their voice in song.
- The Choir Directors’ Institute is sometimes in conjunction with the national NPM Convention, but in some years is offered as a separate, stand-alone event. This institute assists beginning, intermediate, and advanced choral conductors hone their musical, liturgical, and pastoral skills and build professional relationships.
May God bless you in your ministry. Please do not hesitate to contact members of the section committee if we can be of any further assistance.
Roy Spicer, Chair, NPM Interest Section for Choir Directors