The members of the Choir Director Section Committee stand ready to assist you. Some of the programs we help to support and promote are:
- The annual Saint Cecilia Sing that unites NPM members and their choirs across the country in honoring the patron saint of music on or around November 22. YOU are welcome and encouraged to become part of this national celebration of sacred music! There is no set format (be creative!), but the link can give you some ideas.
- Choral activities at NPM National Conventions, often presented by the Director of Music Ministries Division (DMMD). At the 2013 Convention, singers prepared a program entitled “Music of the Americas,” under the direction of Dr. Ann Howard Jones of Boston University. The 2015 Convention saw another fine choir of directors under the baton of Pearl Shangkuan of Calvin College. Each convention also has numerous breakout sessions to help choir directors hone their craft and build successful ministry.
- The Choral Anthem Lectionary Project is a resource compiled by the Director of Music Ministries Division of NPM. You will find choral anthems based on the scripture readings for each Sunday, as well as the entrance and communion antiphons. Choir directors are encouraged to utilize this valuable tool, and to consider making contributions to the list.
- The Liturgical Singer is an NPM newsletter that features articles specifically for cantors, choirs, ensemble singers, presiders and deacons. It is a rich resource for all worship leaders who lift their voice in song.
- The Choir Directors’ Institute, often in conjunction with the national NPM Convention. This institute assists beginning, intermediate, and advanced choral conductors hone their musical, liturgical, and pastoral skills and build professional relationships.
May God bless you in your ministry. Please do not hesitate to contact members of the section committee if we can be of any further assistance.
Rex Benjamin Rund, Chair, NPM Interest Section for Choir Directors