The NPM Section for Choir Directors invites you to participate in the annual Saint Cecilia Sing during the month of November 2013. The memorial of St. Cecilia, patroness of music, on November 22 affords us the opportunity to come together collectively in a national festival to raise our voices "in songs, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in our hearts to God" (Colossians 3:16)
We invite parishes, schools, dioceses, NPM chapters, and other worshiping communities to plan an event of sacred song that will be combined with the efforts of other choirs and musicians throughout the United States and beyond. This event can be a concert, choral festival, prayer event or other special musical program in mid- to late-November. In past years musical groups have found many creative ways to come together and celebrate the gift of sacred song. A complete list of 2013 participating communities will be posted.
We also encourage you to support the work of NPM by including information about the valuable service NPM provides to the Church, and by giving your guests the opportunity to support NPM financially. For example, a free will offering might be taken up for the work of NPM, or the collection could be shared between NPM and a local charity such as a food pantry or other outreach to the poor. This suggested text may be used as a model.
It's easy to participate! The guidelines for participating in the Saint Cecilia Sing are simple:
By presenting an NPM Saint Cecilia Sing, you offer your parish community a chance to experience the wonder of music and celebrate in another form as a parish family.
- The event should be a concert, choral festival, or prayer service outside of Sunday Mass, or you may set aside a time of singing by the congregation and choir prior to Sunday Mass in honor of St. Cecilia Day.
- The Saint Cecilia Sing may be a local or regional event for a diocese, NPM chapter, deanery, parish, group of parishes, school, or other worshiping community.
- The event should include some singing by the choir alone, some congregational singing, and may include music by singers and instruments.
- The official logo of the Saint Cecilia Sing should appear in the program, as well as an explanation that it is being held as part of a national festival of sacred song sponsored by the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM). St. Cecilia Logo
- Register the event with the NPM National Office by: