The NPM Section for Choir Directors invites you to participate in the annual Saint Cecilia Sing during the month of November 2016. The Memorial of St. Cecilia, patroness of music, on November 22 affords us the opportunity to come together collectively in a national festival to raise our voices “in songs, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in [our] hearts to God” (Colossians 3:16).
We invite parishes, schools, dioceses, NPM chapters, and other worshiping communities to plan an event of sacred song that will be combined with events by other choirs and musicians throughout the United States and beyond. This event can be a concert, choral festival, prayer event or other special musical program in mid- to late-November. In past years musical groups have found many creative ways to come together and celebrate the gift of sacred song. Selected programs from last year’s event will be posted to illustrate the creativity and variety of Saint Cecilia Sing events.
A list of 2016 participating communities will be posted on the website, along with the programs that we receive from these events. Make sure that you’re included!
It’s easy to participate. The guidelines for participating in the Saint Cecilia Sing are simple:
- The event should be a concert, choral festival, or prayer service outside of Sunday Mass, or you may set aside a time of singing by the congregation and choir prior to Sunday Mass in honor of St. Cecilia Day.
- The Saint Cecilia Sing may be a local or regional event for a diocese, NPM chapter, deanery, parish, group of parishes, school, or other worshiping community. We encourage you to take up a free-will offering at the event for the support of NPM and its formation/education programs.
- The event should include some singing by the choir alone and some congregational or audience singing, and it may include music by singers and instruments.
- Register the event with the NPM National Office by completing the registration form.
- The official logo of the Saint Cecilia Sing (see logos below) should appear in the program as well as an explanation that the event is being held as part of a national festival of sacred song sponsored by the National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM).
- Please scan and send a copy of the Saint Cecilia Sing program or worship aid to the National Office as an email attachment to NPMSing@npm.org.
By presenting an NPM Saint Cecilia Sing, you can offer your parish community a chance to experience the wonder of music and celebrate in another form as a parish family.